Google

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Zathura

Another half-term and another "family" movie. This one was just me and the kid, who at nine was the perfect age for this confection from Jon Favreau - who will always be the guy from Swingers for me. Having fond memories of an enjoyable Saturday afternoon watching Jumanji more than a decade ago, I was intrigued at least to hear that a sort-of-a-sequel had been made. It's not really a sequel at all - it's the same movie in space: replace rampaging rhinos by aliens and the hunter by an astronaut and there you go. The kids in this one are brothers, and they don't get on, setting up a cute story where the elder realises his love for the younger in an interestingly inventive way. A lot of the charm here came from the fact that Favreau reverted to hands on effects, models and puppets instead of a whole bunch of cringe-worthy CGI - something I have missed whole-heartedly and welcomed with open arms. It looked great! There is something about the old school ways that you can accept so much easier, if done well, than computer trickery, which often overindulges the possibilities of logic and the laws of physics. More, please! At no point did I find myself drifting off during this, with even the child actors engaging me most of the time, where often they can grate on your nerves. In fact I found myself transported back to that special feeling of Saturday matinees that thrill and amaze just enough that you've had a great time without having to take a frame of it out into the light of day afterwards. There have been some we've seen in these holiday slots that I know the wee one will demand against my better judgment at the extortionate DVD prices, but this isn't one of them - I'm quite happy to fork out again for something every child's collection should be happy to have. 8/10 Kx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home