Google

Monday, March 13, 2006

V For Vendetta

Hot on the heals of Watchmen, as I enjoyed that so very much, I turned to another of Alan Moore's classics, keen to get the graphic novel experience before the upcoming movie adaptation tainted my vision of it. The first thing that struck me, coming from the vivid colours of the aforementioned hero epic, was the subdued style of the artwork - dark, sickly hued (a lot of blues, greens and off yellows) and oppressive - immediately creating an atmosphere of unease, portraying a troubled world before even a word is spoken. It took less than five pages before I was hooked big time on this alternate world of totalitarian control and repression. Its Orwellian influences are clear to see, but it is only a platform from which this highly original story unfolds. The titular V, a man of all-encompassing mystery, a "terrorist" who uses the face of Guy Faulks to launch his vendetta on a system that offers lies and heartache to its people, is a character of infinite appeal - his theatrical style, his unflinching nerve and sense of purpose, his innate understanding of true justice make him an anti-hero not just because of his violence, but because of the questions he raises in a world where suicide bombers and oppressive governments are everyday concerns. As relevant now as it was in 1984 when written, this is not just entertainment, but important art, worthy of study and intellectual dissection on every level. I have heard the film doesn't flinch in representing the major themes of the book, and for that I'm grateful. I would not want to see a film that represented this obvious classic in any kind of diluted format. But I think Natalie Portman is interesting casting for Evey Hammond, and I doubt not that the pivotal importance of her relationship with V will be well addressed by her as an actress. The revelations that occur from about two thirds of the way through in V For Vendetta have provided me with some of the most gobsmacking moments of my recent literary intake, and I urge anyone who has not given this graphic novel the time of day to do so without hesitation. The film will undoubtedly bring new readers, but it will always be the book that exists at the zenith of its medium. Hard to judge whether it is better than Watchmen, but I certainly think I would give it a slight edge if pressed to name a favourite. 10/10 Kx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home