Google

Sunday, February 05, 2006

A Short History...

... Of Nearly Everything. And it really is! I got this exceptionally entertaining and educational book for Christmas 2004 and it took me almost the whole of 2005 to finish it, so it is fitting that it should be my first post in an attempt to catch up on things from the two months I wasn't able to update The Wasteland. It didn't take me a long time to read because it was hard work or boring, far from it, it is wonderfully accessible, never repetitive and manages to avoid technical science-speak that is above 99% of the population. What Bryson does is attempt to answer all the questions a reasonably curious human being might want to know about our universe but has always been afraid to ask. He takes the basic knowledge that all of us have and expands upon it in easy to understand terms until our minds are boggled by the sheer improbability of existence, invention and inspiration. He tackles Time, Space, The Natural World, Evolution and all points inbetween, weaving his tales of discovery around the fabulously colourful real characters involved in the history of science, mathematics and exploration. It is the eccentricities of these influential men and women, and the sheer scale of coincidence that led them to success or failure, that fascinated me most and kept me riveted - he makes cold facts come alive by giving science a human face that lies somewhere between religion and secular skepticism, resulting in a wonderful journey that admits the interconnectedness of all things without denying a seeming randomness too. The great thing is that it doesn't ever judge, it is brutally impartial, leading each reader to create their own conclusions from the apparent evidence. From chapter to chapter there was so much that I wanted to retain in order to impress people with weird and wonderful facts during lulls in pub conversation - this book is a major accomplishment and something that everyone should read at some point. I know that I will be keeping it handy for reference, for it simply is the best non-fiction book I've ever read. 10/10 Kx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home