Google

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Kaiser Chiefs

Have listened to this album on and off over the last month since its release, and, although it might sound funny, I still can't decide if I like it! OK - they are from Leeds and seem like affable lads who take themselves a bit less seriously than Franz Ferdinand (who they supported last year and now almost seem in danger of overshadowing), their sense of humour is apparent and very welcome; making the best use of ooh-oohs, laa laas and Naa Naa Nas in a lot of their melodies, but there just isn't a sense of variety or originality on their debut album to lift them out of the crowd. Granted, I predict a Riot and especially Oh My God are great pop songs, but after a few listens you say "right, got it, let's move on". I don't imagine it will linger in my playlist long into the Summer, but for some reason I do keep coming back to it enough for it to deserve a mention. There is a lot of chat about the British guitar band revival being a fad, and to an extent I agree with that: there are a lot of good singles coming from it, but no great acts as a whole. We'll know more when the sophomore albums come out I guess. meanwhile, good luck to all Yorkshire bands, that's what I say... 6/10 Kx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home