Google

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Scrabble Etc

With all the multi-media entertainments out there you can easily forget to still enjoy the simple pleasures of things that don't need plugging in - like books and board games. If my reading has taken a knock from the allure of my DVD player and X-box it is nothing to the demise of my non electronic game playing; I used to play cards all the time, all sorts of games, but now I even play poker online at a virtual table. OK, so the Trivial Pursuit comes out about once every 3 months still, but that has been about the size of it. Then a few weeks back my daughter was given Cluedo for her birthday and it sparked a bit of a board game revival. Now you can only play so many games of Cluedo before it starts getting really repetitive, but the one game I'd really been missing was Scrabble - I've never been much of a Chess player; the length of time required to develop a decent game is a goal I've set aside for old age - but with Scrabble you get better game after game and need only a basic vocabulary to get you started. Each game is different, it lasts about the right length of time, and I always find it both educational and curiously calming. Of course you can be really mean too, or for fun play with only dirty words (harder than it sounds)! Inevitably I have spent as much time playing the real game with real wooden tiles as I have seeking out and playing an online version... I'm sure there are many similar such places but the one I found comes out of Romania, which shows the appeal this game still has! Click the title above to see their site and download the excellent game program. Go on - it's not just for pensioners you know. Kx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home