Google

Sunday, January 23, 2005

In The Cut

Don't know why it took me so long to see this, because I knew I'd like it from the start - knew there had to be a good reason why Meg Ryan took the hump with Parky. Guilty perhaps of style over content issues: it is apparent that the plot is fairly flimsy as serial killer thrillers go. But I don't care about that, because the style is so stylish the content becomes a minor issue. Jane Campion has made a deeply visceral film that is visually among some of the best I've seen, it's impact being strange, dark and discomforting, but altogether compelling. Meg Ryan is great, but the film belongs to Mark Ruffalo, who together with Eternal Sunshine and Collateral (he is completely different in all three movies) has fast become my new favourite character actor. He is seedy but kind, hiding secrets but exuding charm - a multi-layered performance to watch again and again. If you give it a chance it's beauty and depravity will haunt you in a way not quite as good as (what could be?) but close to Seven. Much to like, and too easily dismissed in a lot of reviews I've since read; I believe time will prove this a minor classic. 9/10 Kx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home